Donations to Schools Provide
Dollar for Dollar Arizona Tax Credits
Arizona law provides a dollar for dollar tax credit for contributions to public schools to support extracurricular activities or character education. You can help the students of Florence and San Tan Valley and possibly lower your tax bill by making a donation! The money that you contribute is money that you would otherwise pay in Arizona income tax, but you can make the choice about how your tax dollars are spent by sending them directly to your favorite Florence USD school. You can even designate a specific student – child, grandchild, niece, nephew, or neighbor – and activity that you want to sponsor with your tax dollars!
Tax credits can be applied to:
- Uniforms for Sports Teams, Band and Cheer
- Educational Field Trips
- Performing Arts
- Transportation and Lodging for Competitions, Away Games and Tournaments
- Leadership and character education programs
“Extracurricular activity” means any optional, non-credit educational or recreational activity that supplements the education program of the school.
These activities help children develop qualities such as leadership, team play, and cooperation, while providing safe, supervised activities after school hours. When you complete the tax credit donation form, you can choose which school and activity you wish to support, or you can leave the selection blank and your donation will be applied to the area with the greatest need.
A tax credit is different from a deduction, because you may subtract the whole contribution from your Arizona state tax bill. An individual may contribute as much as $200, and a couple filing jointly may contribute as much as $400 to a public school and receive the money back in the form of a tax credit. (The credit will not reduce your tax liability past zero; however, any unused credit will carry forward for five years.)
The state tax credit is available to all qualifying individual Arizona State taxpayers. You do not need to have a child enrolled in a school to take advantage of this opportunity!
All donations must be delivered to the District Office by 12/31/13 or you can MAIL your tax credit donation, POSTMARKED BY 12/31/13 for credit on your 2012 Arizona income tax.
Just 5 Easy Steps to Your Tax Credit:
1. Decide which school and activity you wish to support (or leave the school/activity selection blank to donate to the area with the greatest need).
2. Write a check for up to $200 for an individual or $400 if you are married and file your taxes jointly - made payable to the Florence Unified School District, then:
3. Fill out the tax credit form and attach your check.
CLICK HERE FOR THE TAX CREDIT FORM
4. Deliver the check and form to the Florence USD District Office OR to the office of your child's school before 5pm on Tuesday 12/31/2013:
you can MAIL the check and form to the District Office, POSTMARKED no later than 12/31/2013:
Florence Unified School District #1
Attn: Ronda Brown, Business Office Programs Coordinator
P.O. Box 2850 - 1000 S. Main St.
Florence, AZ 85132
5. Wear a big smile when you talk to the taxman...you're going to get that money back as a refund or deducted from your state tax bill
For more information contact:
Ronda Brown, Business Office Programs Coordinator